Friday, March 14, 2014

Open letter to the Honorable Joseph P. Kennedy II

                                                                                                           
To the Honorable Joseph P. Kennedy II

Dear Congressman Kennedy,

My name is Laury C. Gutiérrez. I am a resident Scholar at WSRC, Brandeis University and a 2009 Radcliffe Institute fellow at Harvard University. I am a musician by profession. I am writing to you as a citizen of both Venezuela and the United States to ask you to reach out to the Venezuelan government and urge them to respect the human rights of those who are currently protesting, to restore freedom to leaders of the opposition, to restore freedom of the press, and to stop the used of armed militia (Colectivos) against the citizens of Venezuela.

The Kennedy family is well known for supporting democracy and social justice, not just in the United States, but throughout the world. I am asking that in the great tradition of your family, you and your organization Citizens Energy stand by the people of Venezuela as they exercise their rights through peaceful protest.  

I ask that you urge the Venezuelan government to refrain from using force and violence against peaceful protests. I ask that you encourage the Venezuelan government to respect the basic right of all human beings to question their government without fear of violence or retribution.

The government of Venezuela has given millions of dollars of subsidized oil to help better the lives of U.S. citizens. Now it is the people of Venezuela who desperately need your help and that of Citizens Energy. The people of Venezuela would appreciate your standing by their basic human right to peacefully protest.

I strongly believe that silence is not an option. For you to remain silent concerning the crisis now confronting Venezuela would seem to be like a betrayal of the values that your family has fought for over many decades. The Kennedy family has been at the forefront of the struggle for human rights: from civil rights for African-Americans, to women’s rights and more, the Kennedy family has always been on the right side of history.

Therefore, in the great tradition of your family and everything you embody, I ask you to please take a stand on behalf of the people of Venezuela. Don’t leave them “out in the cold.” On behalf of human rights and justice, I implore you to make a statement condemning violence against peaceful protest in Venezuela. I ask you to call on the Venezuelan government to exercise restraint, to let in the press, and to let the voice of the people be heard. I beg you to contact your friends in the Venezuelan government, as you have referred to them in the past, and urge them to respect the principles of a truly democratic nation, including freedom of speech, respect for the rule of law, enforcement of basic human rights, and stopping the use of paramilitary force against civilians.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my urgent request for your help in protecting the rights of the Venezuelan people. I also thank you for helping the needy in Massachusetts. It is wonderful that you have aided so many Americans who find themselves in economic difficulty. I am hoping that you will also help to protect the people of Venezuela, who are in desperate need of your voice and your assistance.

Yours sincerely,

Laury C. Gutiérrez

No comments:

Post a Comment